The first list of 20 smart cities for the ambitious Smart City project has been announced by the Centre. The list is topped by Bhubaneswar and followed by Pune and Jaipur in the second and third positions respectively.
The list further occupies cities like Surat, Kochi, Ahmedabad, Jabalpur, Visakhapatnam, Sholapur, Devangere, Indore, NDMC, Coimbatore, Kakinada, Belagavi, Udaipur, Guwahati, Chennai, Ludhiana and Bhopal.
Quoting the competition as strong as a civil service exam, Union Minister said that list was made on the basis of feasibility, smartness of the proposal, and performance indicators.
Following are some interesting facts from the first 20 Smart City list:
- No cities were selected from Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal and Bihar.
- However, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Karnataka, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh have enlisted two or more nominees.
- Centre has asserted that they had no role whatsoever in the selection of the smart cities.
- States and local administrative bodies were provided a template with 43 questions. The selection was based on the ‘smart answers’ given by the authorities to these questions.
- Participation of people was also an influential factor in the selection.
- The second round of cities are expected to be announced in April.
Earlier, the urban development ministry had received the proposals for 97 cities from the state governments. The selected cities will be provided with infrastructure, efficient urban mobility, IT connectivity and E-governance mechanisms.
Each of the selected cities will be backed by Rs 100 crore funds per year continuously for a span of 5 years. This is the first 20 cities declared among the estimated 100 cities under the Smart City project.